Research and development by Robert A. Cooke, Ph.D.
Leadership/Impact® (L/I) provides managers and executives with unique insights into their personal leadership strategies – and the impact of those strategies on others’ behaviour and performance. The product of extensive leadership effectiveness research, it’s used by organisations worldwide and has been featured in leading peer-reviewed academic journals.
How it works
L/I gathers feedback on each leader via two mechanisms:
- The L/I Self-Report Inventory: The leader describes their own perceptions of their leadership approach and how they’d like to shape and influence others’ behaviour.
- The L/I Description-by-Others Inventory: Up to 12 of the leader’s peers, managers and/or subordinates (chosen by the leader) provide feedback on their leadership approach, impact and overall effectiveness.
Each inventory meets rigorous academic and psychometric standards and takes 20-30 minutes to complete. Both are available online and on almost any digital device, as well as in paper.
The inventory data is processed electronically, and a confidential report is provided for the leader that:
- identifies the gaps between the way they’re perceived and the leader who they want (and need) to be
- considers the implications for their colleagues and their organisations, as well as their personal and professional performance
- makes recommendations for change.
A Human Synergistics consultant or accredited practitioner then guides the leader through the findings and helps them to develop strategies and techniques to improve their long-term effectiveness and impact.
We recommend that you apply L/I in tandem with the Group Styles Inventory™ and Organisational Culture Inventory®. Together, they enable an integrated approach to developing individual, group and organisational-level thinking and behavioural styles.
You can also use L/I alongside Management/Impact™ as an integrated approach to developing your mid to lower-level managers.
The benefits for your organisation
L/I provides valuable insights into your leaders’ influence and effectiveness, and helps them to confront and overcome their personal barriers to achieve outstanding performance – and ultimately the performance of their teams and your organisation as a whole. It’s particularly useful for:
- initiating and promoting leadership development
- coaching individual managers and executives
- evaluating your leadership development initiatives
- promoting a healthy organisational culture
- enhancing organisational effectiveness.
Make L/I part of your drive for change
L/I is best applied by people who’ve been trained to use it. We offer two options:
- A trained and experienced Human Synergistics consultant can help you use L/I and develop truly effective and influential leaders. Simply contact us to find a consultant who’s right for you.
- You can ‘do it yourself’ by arranging L/I accreditation for one or more of your team. This will ensure they have the skills to administer the L/I and implement meaningful leadership-development strategies. To get started, register for an accreditation workshop.
If you would like to know more about Leadership/Impact®, or any of our wide range of diagnostic tools, please get in touch and we will be happy to assist you.